Message from the Education Director
This year the Atlanta Shakespeare Company embarks on what promises to be an enlightening and artistically exciting odyssey- Over an 18-month arc, we will be exploring all of Shakespeare’s Comedies in the order we think they were written. As artists and scholars we’re excited about exploring the evolution in comedic style of our house playwright and resident genius, William Shakespeare.
But never fear! You spoke and we listened: we will produce the outstanding Core Curriculum titles that you rely on us to offer each year- Macbeth, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Romeo and Juliet and a huge favorite from two seasons ago, The Canterbury Tales. Our student matinee series will continue to help you teach these incredible works of art as well as entertain students and teachers alike. Our Evolution (of Genius) project is starting with the Comedies in the order the latest research tells us is likely so you can also offer your students such seldom seen gems as The Two Gentlemen of Verona or Love's Labour’s Lost, challenging titles like The Merchant of Venice and perennial Tavern favorites like Much Ado About Nothing.
- Core Curriculum Matinee Series dates: Click on the "Student Matinees" link to your left. To book tickets call our box office at 404-874-5299 x 0. All dates and titles subject to change. Call or email to see if tickets are still available!
- A new online presence…and here’s where I need your advice: The Education Department would like to have a stronger online presence, but with the wealth of social media sites to choose from I want to make sure that we chose a format that will best suit the needs of our dedicated Tavern Teachers. I’ve created a 30-second, 4-question survey to learn how you prefer to receive information, and I’d greatly appreciate your input: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DYP7J33 . Thanks a million for your input!
- Brand New Playshop Offerings: We’ve created a bunch of new Playshops for all ages to serve your classroom needs, from a Playshop which uses theatre games to develop students’ classroom skills to a new Playshop based on Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales. And if you’re already bringing you students to see Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, don’t forget we have an interactive Playshop for that show as well! Contact Tony Brown for more information at 404-874-5299 ext 55. A Playshop on ANY Shakespeare play is ALWAYS available.
- ‘Design Your Shakespeare Classroom’: Our Education Artists implement more Residencies than ever before in schools around the Metro Atlanta area. Residencies range from 1 week to 8 weeks, in-class or after-school, and are very flexible…let us tailor one to your needs.
- Reservation deadline for Shakespeare on Location performances: You can custom-tailor having ASC at your school for a week of playshops and/or a professional performance on your stage…that’s the full production you would see at the Tavern, complete with our tour set, costumes and the Tavern actors you know and love. Please contact Tony Brown at 404-874-5299 x 55 or for more information.
- Field Trip opportunity: We offer a Playhouse and Theater Tour at our Elizabethan-style playhouse in combination with matinees for a select number of schools. Contact Tony Brown for more information.
- Hot Apple Crisp: In addition to our traditional boxed lunch offering during student matinees, for a lower price you can arrange for your students to enjoy our hot apple crisp with ice cream as a snack during intermission.
I hope we can partner with you in designing your own Shakespeare classroom!
All my best,
- Message from the Education Director
- Student Matinees
- Teacher’s Guide to Matinees
- Teaching Artists
- Tavern Teachers E-mail List
Education Programs & Materials
- In-School Programs
- Renaissance Youth Residency
- Shakespeare on Location
- Recommended Reading
- Study Guides
- Shakesploration Days
- Touring Shows