Events at the Tavern: Atlanta Chamber Players Present “Grand Finale” (May 5)
“ GRAND FINALE ”
String Quartet No. 5
(soprano, clarinet, and piano)
Piano Trio in A minor
Laura Ardan, clarinet
Ann Marie McPhail, soprano
Amy Schwartz Moretti, violin
Julie Albers, cello
Helen Hwaya Kim, violin
Anastasia Agapova, violin
Catherine Lynn, viola
Brad Ritchie, cello
Elizabeth Pridgen, piano
Our 39th season concludes with a return visit to the Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse in a concert featuring noted French and American composers. Atlanta Symphony principal clarinetist Laura Ardan and ACP favorite soprano Ann Marie McPhail will join for the world premiere of a work by Atlanta-based composer Mark Gresham. Popular American composer Philip Glass will also be on the menu, as well as French masters Ravel and Debussy.
Philip Glass’ String Quartet No. 5 opens the all-American first half. While incorporating many of his trademark repetitive qualities, this quartet is remarkable for its rhythmic and dynamic contrasts. Mark Gresham’s new work for soprano, clarinet, and piano closes this compelling first half of music by living composers.
The great French composers Claude Debussy and Maurice Ravel provide the finale for our season. Debussy’s Rhapsody for clarinet and piano is a work of extreme beauty and nuance demonstrating the composer’s vast array of color and dynamics. Guest artists Amy Schwartz Moretti and Julie Albers are back with pianist Elizabeth Pridgen to conclude the program with the dazzling Ravel piano trio. This brilliant work is considered one of the gems of the piano trio repertoire.
We invite our audience to come early and enjoy dinner and drinks in advance of the performance. Doors open at 6:15, with the concert following at 7:30 (food and beverage not included in the price of the concert ticket).
Tickets are $24-$15 (not including tax)
Tickets can be purchased online
or by calling 404.874.5299
Performances this Season
- Pericles, Prince of TyrePerformances begin September 13, 2014
- MacbethPerformances begin October 10, 2014
- Twelfth NightPerformances begin November 07, 2014
- Charles Dickens’ A Christmas CarolPerformances begin December 04, 2014
- The Merry Wives of WindsorPerformances begin January 01, 2015
- Romeo and JulietPerformances begin February 05, 2015
- The Winter’s TalePerformances begin March 07, 2015
- Thornton Wilder’s Our TownPerformances begin April 03, 2015
- CoriolanusPerformances begin May 29, 2015