From the 2015-2016 Season:
The Merchant of Venice
Playing June 03, 2016 to June 19, 2016
$15 General Admission Preview June 2
A lost fortune, a lover's choice and one of the most powerful expressions of "the quality of mercy" in literature: meet Portia, Bassanio and Shylock, the Jewish moneylender and one of Shakespeare’s most controversial characters of all time. A suspenseful comedy with a tragic core that has intrigued audiences for centuries. Does the expression of mercy come through in the characters’ actions?
Join the cast and crew members for a lively Question and Answer session on Sunday June 12 after the show!
Directed by Laura Cole
June 3-19, 2016
Bardometer RatingHow difficult is this Shakespearean play to grasp? On a scale of 1 to 10.
What does rating this mean?
You may already know the story and what happens at the end. But even if you don’t, the play is light and the plot is easy to follow. Limited violence, limited bawdiness (though please note that Shakespeare was a bawdy writer, you can’t escape it in any of his plays). There are very few things – historical, religious, or political – that you need to know ahead of time. Just enjoy!
We recommend this type of play to families, school-age kids, first-timers to Shakespeare, or anyone who just wants to do something fun on a night off. This type of play is perfect for large groups like birthday parties or special event gatherings.
How to prepare for seeing this kind of play: Just show up! You don’t need to know the play to follow along and enjoy.
Performances this Season
- The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged)Performances begin August 08, 2015
- Pericles, Prince of TyrePerformances begin August 28, 2015
- CymbelinePerformances begin September 12, 2015
- Resurgens Theatre Company presents John Webster’s The Duchess of MalfiPerformances begin October 01, 2015
- Arthur Miller’s The CruciblePerformances begin October 10, 2015
- The TempestPerformances begin November 07, 2015
- Charles Dickens’ A Christmas CarolPerformances begin December 03, 2015
- As You Like ItPerformances begin January 02, 2016
- Romeo and JulietPerformances begin February 06, 2016
- Much Ado About NothingPerformances begin March 05, 2016
- Two Noble KinsmenPerformances begin April 02, 2016
- Bill Cain’s EquivocationPerformances begin April 23, 2016
- Two Gentlemen of VeronaPerformances begin May 14, 2016
- The Merchant of VenicePerformances begin June 03, 2016